Turkey cable car collision: All 174 people stranded in cable cars above mountain rescued a day after fatal crash

Turkey cable car collision: All 174 people stranded in cable cars above mountain rescued a day after fatal crash
  • PublishedApril 14, 2024

Footage taken in the aftermath of the accident shows the torn open wreckage of a pod and tangled debris on the rocky ground, as well as medics tending the wounded.

The last of 174 people stranded in cable cars above a Turkish mountain have been rescued – almost 23 hours after one of the pods hit a pole and burst open, killing one and injuring seven others.

The accident, which sent people plummeting to the ground, happened at around 6pm local time on Friday on the Tunektepe cable car, just outside the popular tourist city of Antalya in the south of the country.

Footage taken in the aftermath of the crash showed the torn open wreckage of the car and tangled debris on the rocky ground as well as medics tending the wounded.

Rescue and emergency team members work with passengers of a cable car transportation system outside Antalya, southern Turkey, Friday, April 12, 2024. At least one person was killed and several injured Friday when a cable car pod in southern Turkey hit a pole and burst open, sending the passengers plummeting to the mountainside below, officials and local media said. Scores of other people were left stranded late into the night after the entire cable car system came to a standstill. (Dia Images via AP)
Image:The injured were airlifted to hospital

It left scores of passengers trapped in 24 cabins suspended high in the air. Interior minister Ali Yerlikaya confirmed the trapped passengers had been rescued on Saturday afternoon.

The major rescue effort involving helicopters and more than 500 emergency workers continued throughout the night.

Earlier, Okay Memis, director of the Turkish search and rescue agency AFAD, said 128 people in 16 cars had been rescued “under difficult conditions”.

He added: “The rescue of 43 others in eight remaining pods is ongoing.”

Mr Memis said rescuers hoped to complete rescue operations before dark.

The governor’s office named Memis Gumus, a Turkish national, as the man who died in the incident.

The injured, including two children, were airlifted to hospital.It initially reported seven people had been injured in the collision, but the number was later revised to 10 by health minister Dr Fahrettin Koca.

Mr Koca wrote on X: “One person died and 10 people were injured as a result of a cable car cabin falling in Antalya’s Konyaaltı district.

“May God have mercy on our citizen who lost his life in the accident, I wish a speedy recovery to our injured, and I wish a speedy recovery to the rescued and waiting to be rescued victims.”

The crash occurred on the final day of the three-day Eid al Fitr public holiday in Turkey – which marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and sees families flock to coastal resorts.

The cable car carries tourists from Konyaalti beach to a restaurant and viewing platform at the summit of the 618m (2027ft) Tunektepe peak.

It takes around nine minutes to make the ascent, according to its website.

It is run by Antalya Metropolitan Municipality.

An investigation has been launched by the Antalya prosecutor’s office to determine the cause of the crash.

SOURCE: SKYNEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *