Extra lane space at Sydney’s City West Link to ease traffic congestion near Rozelle Interchange

Extra lane space at Sydney’s City West Link to ease traffic congestion near Rozelle Interchange
  • PublishedDecember 7, 2023

The second lane was added near the Crescent Overpass ahead of peak morning traffic on Thursday, after the emergency short-term solution was announced over the weekend

It’s meant to provide overdue relief for the first time since the interchange opened at the end of November. 

The doubling of lane space is designed to help motorists travelling onto the Anzac Bridge, where city-bound cars previously had to merge into a single lane.

Coordinator general at Transport for NSW Howard Collins said the change will slice a one-hour-20-minute congestion point down to less than 20 minutes.

“This has improved the flow rate of what was a lot of frustration for the City West Link,” he told ABC Radio Sydney.

“We’ve [also] got further ideas we’re working on 24/7 to see if we can improve the flow on Victoria Road.”

a graph of the City West Link changes before and after
The new double lane will help ease congestion heading onto Sydney’s Anzac Bridge.(Supplied: Transport for NSW)

Winners and losers

Transport for NSW said it has noted traffic flow improvements on the City West Link in the last seven days.

They reported a city bound trip from Haberfield to the Anzac Bridge now takes 30 minutes, compared to just under 45 a week ago.

Mr Collins acknowledged the traffic build-up was particularly affecting residents near Balmain and surrounds, nearest to the Rozelle Interchange itself.

“I recognise it and I know it’s a big problem, we are trying our best to fix it,” he said.

However, he said alternative route Parramatta Road — voted the worst road in Sydney for congestion this year — has seen the “lightest traffic it has had for 25 to 30 years”.

The coordinator general said cars coming from Gladesville in the city’s north should be taking advantage of the toll-free tunnel off the Iron Cove Bridge.

“You’re clogging up what local residents need is space — please use the tunnel, it’s free and you’ll find a quicker journey,” he said. 

Scrapped moveable lanes plan revealed

Yesterday, it was revealed the previous government secretly looked at creating movable lanes on the bridge and adding two extra city bound lanes to a stretch of the Western Distributor.

But it quietly shelved those plans before the last election.

Roads Minister John Graham said the tidal flow system on the bridge takes up to three years to introduce and the previous government did not work to deliver it in time for the opening of the interchange.

Former Coalition roads minister Natalie Ward said the government had been in office for nine months and had plenty of time to prepare for the opening of the complicated network of roads.

Mr Collins said the expensive proposal for the contraflow might also be unsafe.

“If we let traffic free flow through this particular junction, what will happen is the city will gridlock further down,” he said. 

“As we have seen several head-on crashes on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the airport tunnel, this has been an issue we worry about when we’re pushing traffic in opposite directions without any protection.”

SOURCE: ABCNEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *